Friday, February 22, 2008

SNOW DAY!!!

Today is the first real snow day I have had since the winter of 2002-2003 (there were three or four snow days that first winter in NYC, and more 40 inches of snow as well) and we are getting a good four to five inches before the snow turns into sleet. I’m still in my bedclothes, drinking my second cup of coffee, and the heater (thankfully) is hissing happily away.

Robert Frost was one of my favorite poets when I was younger, and the image of winter he presented stayed with me until my first experience of snowfall. My ideal winter landscape fantasy has since been shattered by the snowplows and the disgusting urban slush of New York City. Maybe I should write Stopping by the Bronx on a Snowy Evening...

Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening by Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

The pic on top is mine, the University all blanketed in snow. The second pic is a Currier and Ives print made in the 19th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment