Monday, May 12, 2008

Separation Anxiety

While my students were slaving away at their final exam, I took time to look at each and every one of my students (while not being TOO obvious) and say goodbye to them in my head. Normally I'm not sentimental; the circle of life goes on, and every new semester saddles me with a new set of students who manage to both inspire and repulse me at the same time.

Yet this time is different. For now, I say goodbye to teaching and go back to being a full-time student.

So goodbye to my talkative students. I've learned so much from you, and I hope you have learned a little from me.

Goodbye to my quiet students. You've never given me any problems. I wish I knew more about you, but I respect your silence.

Goodbye to my troublesome students. My sarcasm needs practice every now and then. A game of darts always needs a dartboard.

Goodbye to the students who laugh at my jokes. Please don't repeat them to anyone else.

Goodbye to the students who pester me with questions. You've kept me on my toes, and restored my faith in your generation of thinkers.

Goodbye to the students who have been tardy both in work and attendance. I've learned to zip it and count small blessings. Better late than never, right?

Thank you to those students who come to office hours when they say they will. A professor can only take so much surfing on youtube.com in the dank, dark cubicle.

Thank you to those students who can remember my name correctly. You should be knighted, canonized and awarded a Nobel Prize.

As the bard Louie Llamzon, este William Shakespeare so eloquently put it "parting is such sweet sorrow."

No comments:

Post a Comment