Sunday, May 20, 2007



People who know me know that I am all about obsessions. In high school, I obsessed about professional tennis -- I had a little (ok, not so little) scrapbook with newspaper articles about Michael Chang, Steffi Graf, Jim Courier, Monica Seles (it's so obvious how old I am!). I sketched avidly in high school and grade school. Ask my old teachers and they will tell you how I would pretend to be paying attention in class while dreaming up the latest version of my wedding gown (right now it's strapless with an A-line silhouette).







I always view my obsessions as learning experiences, and this past year has brought new obsessions and new lessons. I have seen eight operas at Lincoln Center, knitted five and a half scarves, one and a half beret, and one sock that I unraveled and started over again, gone to yoga class twice a week almost every week for two years, and have bought twelve new fragrances (full bottles, not including the samples that I bought).






My sisters will tell you that I was the one who would leave the house forgetting to spray on something. My mom, the very proper lady that she is, always left the house with a tiny spritz, and at least one handkerchief discreetly scented. When I wake up in the morning, I look forward to going through my stash of samples to see which fragrance I will test during the day. Those in the know will tell you that when you are considering buying a scent, test it out by wearing it an entire day, the better to experience the unfolding of the scent. My worst purchases have been those solely based on how the scent smells on a tester strip.


I found this interesting "favorites" poll on makeupalley.com. Do you have any favorites?

Favorite 'high end' fragrance: Un Lys, Luctor et Emergo, New Haarlem

Favorite 'drugstore' fragrance: Skin Musk

Favorite 'most reached for' scent: Now, it's Un Lys. Should stop because there is a limited stock in the US

Favorite 'soap & water (i.e. fresh & clean) scent: White Musk, Minteva

Favorite comforting fragrance: Luctor et Emergo, Ambre Sultan

Favorite '2nd skin' fragrance: Not sure if this qualifies, Datura Noir...smells like sunscreen and coconut

Favorite 'energizing' scent: La Chasse

Favorite 'casual' fragrance: Luctor et emergo

Favorite 'formal wear' fragrance: Un Lys

Favorite 'antique' fragrance: Tabac Blond. C'est tres chic.

Favorite Cool weather fragrance: New Haarlem, Chergui, Noir Epices

Favorite Hot weather fragrance: Datura Noir, Minteva

Most desired fragrances to try: Musc Ravageur, Bois d'Encens, Tubereuse 40, Borneo 1834, Rahat Loukhum, Iris Poudre, Les Exclusifs

Most desired fragrances to own: anything above that I have not bought : )
Images from wimbledon.com, the Caron website, and the Frick Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment