Saturday, March 15, 2008

An attempt at Pasta Alfredo (Angel Hair)

I've been having a strange craving for pasta lately, ever since my cousin served up a simple but flavorful bowl of pasta the last time I visited her apartment (she sautéed a bit of pesto, tomatoes, baby portabellos and fresh torn basil leaves, and mixed it into cooked spaghetti). The thing is, I dislike having to cook something that only tastes great right after it is cooked. Graduate students like being able to cook and freeze for an entire week, and you can't freeze pasta.

But I'm on vacation right now, so I get to relax. I made this very simple dish in probably less than half an hour (I wouldn't really know, coz I don't look at the clock while I'm cooking, but Jeopardy was still on when I finished). Thanks to Frannie for the shrimp, because even if I overcooked them, they were still great.

A rough version of the recipe:

1. In a large pot, boil water for the angel hair. Angel hair cooks in a snap, so you want the water boiling when the sauce is about done. Add about a heaping tablespoon of coarse salt into the water to flavor the pasta.

2. Saute 2 shallots in about 5 or 6 tablespoons of butter until soft and translucent.

3. Add the cooked shrimp, saute for about half a minute, then add about half a cup of white wine (I had leftover chardonnay in the fridge). Let it reduce for a couple of minutes.

4. Add a cup of heavy cream (yes, I know, nakamamatay). Heat through, then turn the heat down to simmer. Season to taste with a bit of salt (not too much if you used salted butter) and freshly cracked black pepper.

5. Put about half the contents of a box of angel hair pasta into the pot of boiling water. This has to be watched carefully...you want to take out the pasta before it is fully cooked, so that you can continue cooking in the sauce. After about no more than 50 seconds in boiling water, take the pasta out and put it into the sauce. Mix well, so that the pasta is thoroughly coated in the sauce. You'll also find that the pasta will absorb some of the liquid in the sauce.

6. Remove from heat and serve immediately, with grated Parmesan on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment