Monday, July 21, 2008

Scents of Summer

Jeckle just came back from the Hellenes, and during her layover in Dubai, she was kind enough to pick up a bottle of Chanel No. 5 for me (technically Heckle and I are supposed to share it, but the scent isn’t really in the realm of the chocolate-y fragrances that Heckle prefers). So while I am testing it out on my wrists, I was inspired to write a fragrance entry. Well, inspired is a rather strong word. Obligated may be a more appropriate term.

I’ve been keeping my nose open while on vacation hoping to enjoy some of the scents of the city: Paski’s head after he’s been shampooed with Johnson’s Baby Shampoo; the scent of a big fat raindrop falling on a hot corrugated metal roof; the scent of coconut milk and gabi leaves, hot and steamy; the scent of traffic – rubber, gasoline, asphalt, the heady fragrance of trees, flowers and grass in one particular spot in Ateneo (the “bus stop” near Bellarmine), the mix-and-match smells of a high-end department store, where perfumes sold and worn are tempered by the coolness of air-conditioning; the incensy fragrance of the new mosquito repellants out in the market; Winky’s distinct car smell, a mish-mash of upholstery, Freon and Dune by Christian Dior.

I did deliberate long and hard about the fragrances I would take with me to the tropics (though I wish I had taken Black Aoud with me to experience its mileage in the heat). Where I am now, it technically isn’t summer anymore. However, I am on my summer vacation, and the the humid-y monsoon-y, botanic-garden-conservatory-y climate is very different to what I am used to the rest of the year. When seasons change, it is a good time to re-try scents that you’ve dismissed a few months ago (probably during the height of a blizzard). I found, to my pleasant surprise, that some of the scents that I thought I had outgrown bloom in this combination of heat, wind, dust and rain.

Editions de Parfums Carnal Flower –Rumor has it that Frederic Malle, the genius behind Editions de Parfums, named this beauty in honor of his aunt, the actress Candice Bergen (she starred in Carnal Knowledge). The top notes evoke a very green tuberose, smelling of stems and leaves as well as blossoms, melting into a white heart of tuberose, gardenia and orange blossoms. I have not yet smelled real tuberose…I am only familiar with man-made interpretations of the scent. While tuberose is not an easy scent to pull off, Carnal Flower seems to be more approachable than most, and as much as an attention-grabbing whore as the rest. Resist wearing it during a snowstorm – it somehow turns into bubblegum.

The Different Company Sel de Vétiver – Salt, sand, and sun. Who doesn’t love the beach? Thank God for a beach-y scent that does not smell of coconut or suntan lotion.

Serge Lutens Un Lys – White lily, vanilla and musk. Elegant and refined in cooler weather. Heady and even a bit skanky when it’s hot. I remember sniffing it at my beloved perfume store (*waves to Miguel*) and pronouncing within two seconds that I needed a bottle of it. My friend J (who is very hot indeed) runs off with a bit every time he is in my room (don’t deny it, you strumpet! I can smell it a mile away, hahaha!).

Editions de Parfums En Passant –“In Passing.” I had never smelled lilacs until I moved to the States. On campus, there are several lilac bushes, and when I reached up to smell them, my heart stopped for a millisecond, then started to beat a more joyful tempo. Olivia Giacobetti, who created this scent, is said to have envisioned a walk through the town on a rainy day, passing by a florist’s on one side and a baker’s on the other. This is a true lilac scent, but if you try hard enough, you can smell a little bit of baguette as well. I prefer big, bold scents, but there are days when a more restrained beauty is just what I need.

The Body Shop Minteva – A green and refreshing scent. I swear I can smell basil and mint in it. I used to wear it to picnics in Central Park in early summer, when Roomie and I would grab our books, lie down on a blanket on the grass, and let the sun warm our winter-weary bones. Too bad I already gave this away…

Bvlgari Petits et Mamans – A comfort scent that smells of baby powder and chamomile. I find that I fall asleep pretty fast when I wear this. My babies should all smell like this. Except for my little perfumista prodigy who will be asking for Mitsouko extrait by the time she’s two years old.

Bond No. 9 So New York – Also known as the perfume that smells like a Starbucks drink. I did get that chocolate-y-coffee vibe, though I think New Haarlem, also by Bond No. 9, is a much better coffee scent. It is a heavy, cool weather fragrance, so use sparingly. Now that I am wearing it in warmer weather, I get a fruitier scent, as if I am eating ripe golden plums (and not bothering to wipe the juice trickling down my face) and chasing them down with a cup of coffee and cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment