Sunday, July 24, 2011

'Twas the night before Christmas...



I’ve been suffering from a type of writer’s block called “no time to write.”  It’s been so long since I actually strung together a sentence that was not “Reject the null hypothesis.”  And it shows in the pathetic writing below.  However, in light of the season, I wanted to list some things that I am truly thankful for in the past year.  I’m sure there are more, but my brain is fried from the Christmas shopping.

1.     This time last year, I was Ms. K.  Now, I’m Dr. K.  HEE.

2.   Family downtime.

Heckle’s visit to NYC was a good excuse to hit the museums, go shopping, and order omakase.  Possibly the best meal I had in my entire life. 

3.    Graduation gifting to myself.

As a result of #1, I now have Jamie, my Rebel XSi.  I’m not by any means a good photographer, but I’m learning a little every time I take Jamie out.

4.   The Yankees win their 27th

Game 6 of the World Series, and the Bronx was burning.  Finally, after 9 years of heartbreak, New Yorkers got their bragging rights back.  Even sweeter, my favorite Yankee #55 Hideki Matsui slaughtered the Phillies.  At one point, the score was Matsui 6, Phillies 1.  Unfortunately, it was Matsui’s last game as a Yankee.  But what a game! 

5.   Breathing the same air as Bono and Matt Damon.

Okay, so Matt Damon was barely a blip on my radar, but the “secret” U2 concert performed on the steps of our very own Keating Hall was probably the biggest event of my academic career (well, okay, aside from my dissertation defense).  I like to annoy people by saying, “well yes, the album is great, but U2 sounds better live.”  J 

6.   My first hockey game.

I don’t really like the Rangers or the Bruins.  And Lundqvist was not even playing.  But the experience of screaming my heart out at Madison Square Garden (“OH MY GOD, ARE YOU BLIND!!!) while grown men chase each other with sticks, was an event to remember.  Can’t wait to see Crosby, Malkin or St. Louis play live. 

7.  Teaching again.

Yes, I do complain about my students.  A lot.  But if I were just doing research, the only person I can complain about would be…ME! 

8.   Sniffapalooza

The biggest gathering of perfume-obsessed individuals in the country, perhaps in the world, happens in NYC.  In spite of the icky weather (icky for October, at least), I managed to stop at every major perfume shrine in the city.  And I got four, count it – one, two, three, four – bags full of goodies and samples.  There was a major purchase too, but I don’t have the energy or the inspiration to write about it just yet. 

9.   British TV shows.

If not for them, I’d go mad.  Discovery of the season: Lewis, an ITV detective drama I caught on PBS.  Set in Oxford, Detective Inspector Robbie Lewis and his sergeant James “at-away” Hathaway.  Especially funny is Laurence Fox (of the prominent British acting family) as the Cambridge theologian-turned-copper Hathaway. 

Major squeal factor.  The delicious Tobias Menzies (yes, the Toby that’s splashed all over this blog) has joined the exceptional Spooks cast (including the lovely Richard Armitage) as the new Home Secretary, and he may be up to no good.  I love it when Toby is up to no good. (And any excuse to put Toby up here.) 

10.  The end of the semester, and breathing room at last. 

    Merry Christmas from Spot and me.

PS.  I keep wanting to put pics with this post, but Multiply is going haywire on me.  Toby will have to wait another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment